An early English brass bicycle lamp by Joseph Lucas, Ltd. Birmingham - This model known as the No.153 Lucas Calcia Toura.
The chimney is marked: Lucas - Calcia Toura.
The Joseph Lucas Company in Birmingham was established in 1875.
A carbide lamp, having a lower chamber into which carbide was placed and then attached to the main part of the lamp which, aside from the water reservoir, contains a large lens with a reflective mirror behind it. The lens is set into a hinged brass frame that can be opened to light the gas. The gas is produced when a small tap at the top of the reservoir is opened, allowing water to drip onto the carbide thus creating acetylene gas which, when lit, gives off a brilliant white light. On the back of the lamp there is a bracket for attaching the lamp to the bicycle. On the side of the lamp there are green glass jewels which light up when the lamp is lit.