A fine working German compound microscope, circa 1910, by R. Winkel, Gottingen, Germany, in a fitted box of mahogany with nickel hardware and key.
Marked on column front: R. Winkel, Gottingen, Nr. 18507
With removable two fitted wood sliding holders for lenses.
Manufactured during the early 1900s. Rudolf Winkel (1827-1905) began a precision mechanical workshop in Gottingen in 1857. By 1911, Carl Zeiss had become the largest shareholder in the operation.