A fine pair of working English binoculars or field glasses of brass, steel, and leather, circa 1920, by the celebrated British optical firm, J.H. Steward.
James Henry Steward was primarily an optician and founded his business in 1852. From about 1856 to about 1871, he had a shop 406 Strand, London where he is listed as a watchmaker, jeweller and optician in a directory for 1861. In a directory dated 1882 he is still listed at 406, 456 and 66 Strand, WC and 54 Cornhill. From circa 1867-circa 1875 he is also reported to have traded at at Gracechurch Street and 63 St Paul's Churchyard, London. Incorporated in 1912, became J.H. Steward Limited.